Thursday, June 05, 2008

Black?

Why is it that future President Obama, is always referred to as black? He is as much a white man as he is black. Just because he is half black does not make him any more black than white. How many white people are pure white? Very few I imagine. People are a composite of many relatives that come before them. This country is truly a melting pot and I am proud of the fact that we are slowly coming to see that a person’s color has no bearing on their potential success. I have Indian, Cajun, Irish, British and who knows what else in my heritage. Does that make me better or worse than any other American? Of course it doesn’t. John McCain is so white he could be called an albino but we don’t do that. Why the double standard? Obama wants to be a healer and someone who will try to bring different people together. I can think of no one better able to do that. He has grown up in two different worlds with two different sets of grandparents and world views. Who better to actually be able to bridge the divide between our country’s racist history? I hope and pray that the public doesn’t let their prejudice get in the way of actually hearing what Obama is saying and campaigning for. He is a historic candidate, not because of his color but because he actually wants to bring all Americans together. I hope he chooses the Republican, Chuck Hagel as a running mate to show he means what he says. I am an independent and I too want to see a real uniter, not a partisan divider like we had over the last eight years leading this country. Our country desperately needs someone like that at this time in our history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home